Friday, November 10, 2006

George Bush loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so...

In an article I did a while back, I argued that many modern right-wingers have a love for the state and its symbols that is tantamount to idol worship. This post by Lew Rockwell, which remarks on a quote I've seen all over the internet, brings that to mind again. The quote is:

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ; and 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

I'm not even a Christian, and I still find that incredibly inappropriate. Even if I really thought what's happening in Iraq had something to do with my freedom, I'd still be disturbed by it. The most outrageous thing is that most of the people who consider this a great line probably are Christians, and see no contradiction between that fact and their idolatrous adoration of the state and its employees. This fits right in with almost messianic status Bush seems to have for some people. If this were the age of ancient Rome, when Christians were being martyred for their refusal to worship the head of state, these folks would probably be lining up in droves to burn sacrifices to Caesar.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get some rest so I can go to the mall in the morning. I want to get my Bushmas shopping done early this year, so I don't have to fight the crowds.

UPDATE:
Found this fitting, in a grim sort of way: It's gone now, but when I first put this post up and went to view the blog to make sure it went up properly, the first ad listed on the Google Ads bar was for a site selling body bags. I kid you not. Getting smarter every day, these computers...


Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: